Friday, May 15, 2015

Acceptance

Its hard living with limited abilities. More often that not, I have to make peace with the fact that I wont be able to do something and that the rest of the family can. Most of the time, its just hubbs and me and he tries to make sure that we do some other activities that I like and I can do, to balance out his other activities, which he does alone. But when family is visiting, the things that I can do with them outside home dwindles to almost nothing (usual tourism = crowd + noise = not for me). It sucks sitting at home and it sucks more. It is hard for regularly abled/active people to make time and adjustments for the limitedly abled, and that is understandable, though often frustrating.

Is the key to happiness with any situation just acceptance?. Acceptance of what things are and not wanting more. And if that is so, how do I get there....

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your inspiring posts! I hope you find acceptance through a peaceful journey. Wishing you all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your life journey had to be this one. Getting used to the limitations on your abilities is very tough and while I don't know how it feels in first person, having a daughter with limited abilities (for whom I have to do most of things) in a way made me go through what you're going.
    As cliche as it sounds, acceptance takes time. It takes time for you to adjust and accept what has happened and to find joy in the things you are able to do instead of dwelling on things you can not. I think my daughter was 3 y.o. when I have finally in my mind accepted what has happened. There are still daily reminders that she's different and that she will most likely not be able to do this or that, or that me having to take care of her will not allow me to travel far from home without her, but it doesn't bother me anymore. At least not as much as it did before.

    I try to savor the moments when she or I feel happy and if I start to go down the 'self-pitying' path I try to stop the thought as soon as I realize that it's one of those.

    Acceptance takes time. Do not rush it, because you can not control that. If you try to hurry it up, you will realize that it is not helping and that will make you depressed. It will come in time and you just have to be patient.
    Wishing you all the best and hope you keep your head high as you go though this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marina, thank you for sharing your story. Several good things have come out of the limited abilities as well. There is many things I can do which keeps me going. I wish you and your daughter all the happiness.
      Love
      Richa

      Delete